Christmas in Australia is during high summer and is often scorching hot. Perhaps that’s why we Aussies often pine (no pun intended) for the wintery festive season scenes that our northern hemisphere cousins experience. While we can’t play in the snow, and it’s hard to enjoy mulled wine on a 35 degree day, you can make your home smell like Christmas by making a stove-top potpourri simmer pot.
Christmas Simmer pots, or stovetop potpourris are so easy to make. Just mix up a few of your favourite ingredients and simmer them away on your stove. Your home will be filled with a delicious aroma and you’ll be feeling festive in no time.
How to make your home smell like Christmas
- Cinnamon Sticks
- Fresh Rosemary / or a sprig of pine
- Whole Cloves
note: as fresh cranberries are hard to get in Australia, I use semi-dried cranberries from the dried fruit section of the supermarket.
other ingredient options are:
- Star Anise
- Apple Cider
Christmas Simmer Pot Instructions
Simmer pots are so easy because there is minimal preparation – your home can smell delicious in no time!
- Choose firm, ripe fruit and slice it into thin, even slices.
- Place all dry ingredients into a saucepan.
- Cover with at least 1 Litre of water.
- Place your saucepan onto the stovetop and bring it to a gentle boil. Then reduce the heat and simmer gently.
- As the liquid dehydrates, you can add more water to the pot to prolong the aroma.
- I usually simmer for 3-4 hours and then let the pan cool on the stovetop overnight, then simmer it again the following day – just remember to add water as required.
- When you have finished enjoying your simmer pot aroma, turn off the heat and let the pan cool.
I then drain any excess liquid into the sink and then add the remaining ingredients to the green recycle bin.
Have any questions?
I’d love to hear about your Simmer Pot ingredient combinations, or if you have any questions, please email me.
The images in this post were shot using the Concrete Porch Photography Backdrop – available in the Chookapeck Shop.
Are you a Food Blogger / Stylist or Content Creator?
Chookapeck Photo Backgrounds make it super easy for you to create the perfect shot. Just style and shoot, then roll & store.
Here for the recipes, pics and other pretty things?
I’d love to connect with you at my @annemaree.c Insta profile.
Leave A Comment